HOME     ABOUT ME

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Homemade Truvia

One of the points in the Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle is eating in such a way as to keep blood sugar from spiking. Since diabetes runs rampant in my family, this is a concern of mine. That is why I have tried to eliminate most sugar from my diet. However I will not resort to artificial sweeteners like aspartame to do it. I have learned about stevia, xylitol and erythritol which are all natural sweeteners that do not cause blood sugar spikes. I have heard that some people have adverse reactions to xylitol but I, thankfully, have not.
Homemade Truvia
My favorite is a homemade version of Truvia. The actual truvia has "natural flavors" as one of the ingredients which in my opinion leaves a strange aftertaste, almost like vanilla. The homemade one does not have any mysterious natural flavors added and is the one that most tastes like sugar to me.

The good thing is that it's easy to make. The bad thing is that it isn't subsidized by the government so it isn't cheap.

The ingredients you'll need are either xylitol or erythritol. Either will work. I cannot find erythritol locally but it can be ordered through Amazon. However, I CAN find xylitol in a local healthfood store, Native Sun. I buy the biggest bag they carry. And the other ingredient is stevia extract powder.
Xylitol and stevia extract
 I like the KAL brand from Native Sun but they recently changed their formulation and added maltodextrin as an added ingredient. That is NOT on plan. You want to be sure that there are NO added ingredients.
Other ingredients: None
If the KAL brand has added ingredients then try NOW. That can be ordered online. And that's it! 
1cup : 1/2 teaspoon
The ratio is 1 cup of xylitol or erythritol to 1/2 teaspoon stevia extract. Mix well. You can use it like sugar. 1 teaspoon homemade truvia = 1 teaspoon sugar. You can even bake with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate your thoughts and I thoroughly enjoy reading each one!