HOME     ABOUT ME

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Resolutions 2012

I finally crystallized the resolutions that had been rolling around in my head. Many are similar to what I had resolved to do in the past, but since we are creatures who are always growing, always improving, I am still a work in progress so I must progress in the work I have set before me. So here the things I am going to work on this year:

Physical
Get fixed. I have been complaining of a hurt left shoulder and right ankle. I also have a persistent (chronic?) cough. I will schedule appointments to look into solutions for these annoyances.
Train for a race. I was hoping to run the Donna half marathon for my friend Libby who was diagnosed with breast cancer but with the pain in my foot, I'm off track for that race. So I've set my sights on the Gate River Run.
Log food and water. The best way to weight loss and maintenance is to log my food. I can't do it any other way. So I resolve to log every day using My Fitness Pal. If you plan on using that program/app, you can friend me and we can keep each other accountable.

Spiritual
Live the 10 Second Rule. After reading the book, I decided I would try to do what I reasonably felt God was telling me to do, in the next 10 seconds, without thinking much about it except to obey. Trust and obey. A song I learned with the kids in BSF. A good rule to live by.
Read through the New Testament in One Year. I'm being realistic. I've tried the whole Bible in a year and I've always come up short. So I'm taking a smaller step. The NT this year. Maybe the OT next year? I do listen to the Daily Audio Bible but I know there will be days that I miss. So this goal is more attainable.
Read 4 Spiritual Books. This is something I do every year. This year I have picked the following four books: One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp, Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst,  Out of the Saltshaker by Rebecca Manley Pippert, and Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus by Lois Tverberg. I am also using Jesus Calling as my devotional this year. I have plenty of reading to do!

Mental/Personal
Blog. I've done better this year but my goal is to write something weekly. I didn't realize how time consuming writing is! You have to think of what to write about, then write it, then edit and then add pictures and finally fix all the formatting.
Photography. Annie bought herself a new camera so for Christmas we gave her a photography class so she can learn to take better pictures. Knowing she wouldn't want to do that alone, I signed up too. Hopefully this will help my blogging too as clear, crisp pictures are a vital part of a good blog.
Pursue hobbies. Continue knitting the sweater I started several years ago. Crochet a hat (just learned how to crochet). Sew quilts for Tommy and Timothy (just finished one for Michael.) Gives me a great reason to use my new Bernina!
Read with Timothy and Annie. 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens with Timothy and Beautiful Girlhood with Annie. We started these books last year and put them down during the summer and never picked them back up. Going to finish them by spring.

And there you have them. There's so much more I will actually work on.

Holding my tongue. Trusting others. Keeping up with the laundry. Decluttering the house. Making the bed. Being a good wife. Being a good mother. Being a good friend. Forgiving when I've been hurt.

So much to always work on. But my official list is the first one. They are the things that are measurable (and more easily attainable?) so I will stick to focusing on these for now.

What about you? Do you make resolutions? What are they?

2 comments:

  1. I am just a bit envious of your new Bernina, and I love that you are continuing your knitting and crocheting. Three activitites that hve brought me great peace in the midst of chaos. I love the focus, and the accomplishment.

    I have only promised to myself that I must strengthen myself to support a badly hurting back. I refuse to have surgery, and my only realistic (not to mention wisest option) is to use the abilities God gave me to get better. I am starting a series of pilates and yoga workouts to increase strength in all areas, but focusing on my core and legs. I am a farmer in training, I have to be strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. April, it's been a long road to the Bernina! I've wanted one since I first started taking quilting classes in Tampa.

    Good for you for taking care of yourself! You are right, you have to be strong to be a farmer AND to be a mother of little ones! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate your thoughts and I thoroughly enjoy reading each one!