HOME     ABOUT ME

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Homemade Granola

I love granola but I don't care for the sugary sweet kind (and loaded with calories and fat!) so I prefer to make my own. I've tweaked the recipe over the years and now this is my standard one. The first one is the yummy, not-so-healthy for you. The variation is the one I usually make: not too sweet, scant on the fat.


Sheila’s Granola
2 cups oatmeal
1 cup coconut
1 cup almonds
1/3 cup wheat germ
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 can f/f sweetened condensed milk
½ cup oil

Spray baking pan with Pam. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Mix first 4 ingredients. Add next four and mix well. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.

You can vary the ingredients at will. Try other nuts. Add raisins or other dried fruit (after baking.) Can be doubled and tripled as long as you have a large enough pan and can stir it.

Healthier version: I cut out the sweetened condensed milk and substitute ¼ cup of sweetener: either honey, real maple syrup or agave nectar. I reduce the oil to ¼ cup. Also oatmeal is increased to 6 cups.

Makes great trail mix when mixed with pretzels, M&Ms, etc. I've also given it as Christmas presents packaged in pretty bags or jars.

1 comment:

  1. I love that this has sweetened condensed milk in it. Maybe not the healthiest, but it sure sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate your thoughts and I thoroughly enjoy reading each one!